Tuesday 6 October 2009

End Of An Era

For the past 18 years (give or take a couple of years in London and Hull here and there), I've been playing five-a-side football every monday night at 8pm.  Hundreds of players have come and gone in that time but there have been two constants; Paul "Smithy" Smith and Steve "Fresh" Freshney.  This week, they both retired - this leaves me as the longest serving, currently active player.  I felt old before, now I feel ancient!

There was a really good turnout for their final match, it was almost a testimonial atmosphere and we even let Smithy score from a Fresh corner.  Not bad considering they have a combined age of 163.

By their standards, I should have another 25 years of football in my legs - but I wouldn't count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment