Sunday 18 October 2009

1st Gainsborough Beer Festival

Saturday afternoon was spent at the 1st Gainsborough Beer Festival in the Old Hall - certainly the most important historic building in which I've got pissed.

My fellow passengers on the train from Lincoln included Mark R and Nick; and we were met in Gainsborough by Ross, Martin and Charlotte.

There were 44 beers on offer and we managed to sample 41 of them.  We were only prevented from completing the clean sweep by three selling out.  Most of the beers on offer were from Lincolnshire brewers including Bateman, Tom Wood, Poacher, Cathedral, Dark Tribe, Fugelestou and Oldershaw.  My personal favourite was Fugelestou's Marsh Mild.

We treated ourselves to chips and gravy in the High Street and were treated to a fight (also in the High Street) by the locals.  A bloke and woman were screaming at each other before she decided to start thrashing him and than stormed off in tears surrounded by her mates.  I'd like to point out that they had nothing to do with the festival, they came out of a ropey looking pub next to the chippy.  Apart from that fracas we had a very good afternoon and I hope it will become a regular fixture on the social calendar.

2 comments:

  1. I concer, a most pleasant occasion, and I wasn't even drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant concur. Luckily I think I'm the only one who reads your blog so I may be in the clear!

    ReplyDelete