Monday 7 July 2008

Nocton v Rustons

I was asked to turn out for Ruston's yesterday as they were short of players. It was nice to play cricket again after such a long break although I looked like the part-timer I am - I couldn't find any of my kit.

I think the opposing batsmen had me marked as the weak link in the team as their shots kept finding my bit of the field with alarming regularity. When I say "field", think "ploughed" - it's a pretty awful ground which is far from level and covered in mole hills and other ankle breakers.

It was raining when Charmo and I got there and didn't look like stopping. We missed the proper start time of 2pm and finally got going with a 32 over game nearer three. We won the toss and Pat decided to put them in with the hope that we could take advantage of the dampness but it would be drier by the time it was our turn to bat.

They had a slow start but let loose in the last 6-8 overs and ended on 103/9. Charmo and Nibbler each took a couple of wickets - Charmo also took two catches. I was getting plenty of action and the bumpy pitch was making it very difficult to grab a bouncing ball but I don't think I cost us any runs so all was OK.

The heavens opened 8 balls before the end of Nocton's innings so we took an early tea and waited it out. After about 30 minutes we were able to restart and they finished off their innings before taking to the field. Our plan of batting on a dry pitch had gone out of the window and everyone was finding it difficult. Pat was out early on, Phil and Kev both picked up golden ducks, Nibbler and Paul stuck around for a while but runs were hard to come by. Charmo ended up top scorer with something in the mid-twenties. We were losing wickets quickly and by the time number 8 and 9 were at the crease (Duncan and Alex) it looked like we might be bowled out. However, they both stuck to the task and plugged away - Alex was eventually caught out with just two balls remaining. The batsmen had crossed so I ended up as non-striker for two dot balls. Our final total was 67/8.

It was a good afternoon but it was spoiled a bit by the weather and the pitch but, as they say, they are the same for both sides so musn't blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment