Friday 25 September 2009

A Load of Balls

Spent the day playing golf with Ross and Lewis. First time I've ever taken a whole day off to play golf, also the first time that I've played 36 holes in a day. Absolutely brilliant!

We started off at Forest Pines near Scunthorpe. Without doubt the most prestigious course I've played and the amount of trees and water, and the speed of the greens made it a daunting prospect. We had a 7:50am tee time (eek!) but it was worth it, for the first 7 or 8 holes we hardly saw another golfer. It was like we owned the course. I'd asked Dad for any tips for the course - he said "take plenty of balls"! I was prepared to lose a few in the trees but I ended up finding one more than I lost so there was a net profit there.

I made one par (on the 2nd hardest hole on the course!) and went round in a total of 116. Given that my usual score on much easier courses is around 101 or 102 I was pretty happy with that. Lewis won the morning session with a 115 so I was still "in the hunt".

After lunch at the Inn On The Green in Ingham it was on to Laughterton for round two. This is a course I'm much more familiar with and I started off well with a bogey on the 1st and par on the 2nd. It all started going a bit wrong for a few holes after that and I ended up on 50 for the outward nine - about average. The back nine however was a different story, I suddenly moved up a gear (I wish I knew how!) and the pars and bogeys were coming ten-a-penny. My score coming in was just 44 (7 over par for the back nine) giving me a total of 94 which equals my best ever round and is only my second ever score under 100. Lewis got 97 so I won the round by three and the day by two.

It seems I need 27 holes (or 166 shots) to get warmed up then I start playing well. I've really got the bug at the minute so am going to Normanby Hall on Saturday with Alan and Craig. Fore!

No comments:

Post a Comment